A collaborative genealogy of VanValkenburgh branches in Canada
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]


» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 246» Next»     » Slide Show

Her Majesty's Royal Chapel of the Mohawks in Brantford, Ontario

Her Majesty's Royal Chapel of the Mohawks- the oldest building in Ontario and the first Protestant Church in Upper Canada, is one of six Chapels Royal outside of the United Kingdom. It is one of two in Canada, the other being Christ Church Royal Chapel in Deseronto, Ontario. This site was elevated in 1904 to a Chapel Royal by Edward VII. Constructed near Brantford, Ontario in 1785 by the British Crown, the chapel was given to the Mohawk Indians led by Joseph Brant, for their support of the Crown during the American Revolution. They had migrated to Canada after Britain lost the Thirteen Colonies and were awarded land for resettlement.  This land was a parcel that encompassed 6 miles on either side of the Grand River totaling 950,000 acres-mv. Originally called St. Paul's, the church is commonly referred to as the Mohawk Chapel. It is part of the Anglican Diocese of Huron and has a chaplain appointed by the Bishop of Huron in consultation with the congregation.

Architecturally, the chapel is a simple building with a rectangular floor plan; it is constructed of a wood frame faced with painted clapboards. It has been renovated several times. In November 2001, it suffered minor damage during two failed arson attempts. Originally the entrance faced east to the canoe landing site on the bank of the Grand River, the transportation route. Eight stained glass windows, installed in 1959-1962, depict events from the history of the Six Nations of the Iroquois.

In 1850, the remains of Joseph Brant were moved from the original burial site in Burlington, to a tomb at the Mohawk Chapel. His son John Brant was also interred in the tomb. Next to Brant's tomb is a boulder memorializing the writer Pauline Johnson, who was born in the nearby Six Nations Reserve and attended services in the Chapel.

In 1981 the chapel was designated a National Historic Site of Canada.

Chaplains and associated clergy

1786 to 1827 (no resident clergy):

  • The Reverend John Stuart of Kingston
  • The Reverend Dr. Addison of Niagara
  • The Reverend R. Leeming of Ancaster
  • The Reverend Mr. Hough of England

1827 to present (resident clergy):

  • The Reverend Robert Lugger (1827-1837)
  • The Reverend Canon James Campbell Usher (1837)
  • The Reverend A. Nelles (1837-1884)
  • Archbishop R. Ashton (1885-1915)
  • The Reverend C.M. Turnell (1915-1917)
  • The Reverend C.H.P. Owen (1922-1929)
  • The Reverend H.W. Snell (1929-1945)
  • Canon W.J. Zimmerman (1945-1981)
  • The Reverend Norman Casey (1981-2003)
  • The Reverend Larry Brown (2004- )


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Additional info:

The marriages of Charles Lauzau & Catharine VanValkenburg and John VanValkenburg & Flora Lauzau took place here.  Both were Anglican ceremonies officiated by The Rev. Robert Lugger and the Rev. Canon James Campbell Usher, respectively.  These VV marriages were actually performed at the Mohawk Parsonage.  The Mohawk Parsonage was built on glebe land, which was set aside for the use of the Anglican Church.  The Anglican clergy lived in this parsonage.  The parsonage was later destroyed in the early 1900's.  


Please see The Grand River Branch of the UEL in Canada for location of the Mohawk Parsonage - The Grand River Branch of the UEL in Canada

Please see the Mohawk Chapel site for additional information and history. -  The Mohawk Chapel




Owner/SourceMark Van Valkenburg
Linked toLauzau, Charles; Lauzau, Flora; Vanvalkenburg, Catherine; Vanvalkenburg, John Diamond

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 246» Next»     » Slide Show